Gary Halbert’s Favorite Ads

Is it really possible to become a world class copywriter in just 30-days? One of the most famous letters in the illustrious Gary Halbert Letter is titled “Hands on Experience.”   Gary goes over, in extreme detail, the process he would use learn copywriting, as if he was starting again from scratch.

His most mysterious instructions are as follows:

I want you to get a copy of the following ads and direct mail letters:

“Do You Make These Mistakes In English?”

“What Everybody Should Know About This Stock And Bond Business”

“The Nancy L. Halbert Heraldry Letter”

“How To Burn Off Body Fat, Hour-By-Hour”

“At 60 Miles An Hour The Loudest Noise In This Rolls Royce Is The Ticking Of The Electric Clock”

“Why Men Crack”

“How To Collect From Social Security At Any Age”

“The Admiral Byrd Transpolar Expedition Letter”

“The Lazy Man’s Way To Riches”

Now that you’ve obtained copies of these ads and letters, I want you to sit down and copy them out word-for-word in your own handwriting.

Now if you’re like me, you’ve read this probably a zillion times over, wondering the whole time: “Thanks Gary, but where the heck do I find all these ads in the first place?”

So I’ve spent countless hours online trying to track each of these down for my swipe file.  And to save you the trouble, I’m listing all of them right here.  With one exception, each of the ads will open as either a JPG or PDF file:

And here are 9 bonus ads for your swipe file:

In addition to above, here are more (free) educational resources to help you with your copywriting career:

Lastly, on the issue of finding your first clients…I’ve found the resource below to be extremely helpful in my copywriting career:

If you found any of this helpful, please drop me a line by sending me a quick email.

P.S. If you’d like to learn even more about how to write copy that sells, I recommend you join the private Copywriting Code membership site. It’s packed with valuable copywriting lessons, and more are being added all the time. Click here to check it out.

17 Comments

1. Sean McCool says:

Nice collection of ads and resources. Thanks Ryan

2. Lee Smith says:

As weird as it may seem, writing powerful sales letters like this out by hand REALLY DOES HELP! In most great copy, there’s a rhythm…a beat if you will…a ‘hidden structure’ that all great copy has.

These ads not only helped clarify the incredible benefits of the products, but they also ‘sold’ you without trying…

These are some of the greatest sales letters ever written. Ryan, these are a great addition to ANY copywriter’s swipe file. Thanks for grabbing these!

3. Ryan, you’re a beast for this!

I had a lot of this, but the ones that you’ve added….wow. I can’t thank you enough. Who needs Harvard Business School? The educational potential here is phenomenal.

4. Jenny says:

Wow! A simple Google search for Gary Halbert’s Heraldry letter gave me all this – I’ve been engrossed for hours!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Jenny x

5. GREAT information! Thanks so much!

Jennifer

6. Eagle says:

great collection, a search for Gary Halbert got me here :) , thanks for sharing great treasures.

7. Gina says:

Amazing Collection!! Thanks Ryan : -)

8. Justin Quick says:

Hey Ryan, thanks for the ads. The link for “How To Burn Fat Hour By Hour” is broken — I’m getting a 404 error code. Just letting you know. Peace.

9. JP Sloan says:

Hey Ryan,

I’m going through Halbert’s crash copywriting course right now….It’s nice have all of these in one place!

Thanks for finding all of these ads!

JP

P.S.- The bonus ads are great too…love Ogilvy’s “How to Create Advertising that Sells”

10. Angel says:

Wowzers! Ryan. I’ve been consuming Gary’s “Boron Letters” with the same gusto I did Cheese Nips when I was 5. To quote Gandhi, “You da man!” Thanks a lot for this.

11. Elizabeth says:

Wow, great content! Thanks

12. Great stuff, Ryan. Thanks!

David

13. Andy says:

Hey Ryan – Thanks so much for tracking these down.

You don’t know this, but I’ve actually been using this resource for months, and sending several people to this exact page so they could see these ads too.

Thanks

-Andy

14. Chris says:

Great stuff! I was searching for these individually but aggregating them was a huge help. Thanks Ryan!

15. Chuck Rylant says:

This is an incredible resource. Thank you so much for saving me a ton of searching!

16. Mk Akan says:

Thanks man….i have read that instruction myself and have been searching for these ads….Thanks for this…